The water pumps on Audi and VW 2.0 TSI engines have a higher than normal failure rate.
Replacement is a fairly labor-intensive job, and there are a few tips to getting it done right the first time. In the latest episode of Inside the Brands, CRP Automotive Brand Manager Paul Swyter discusses a few of these tips that should make your installs easier — and reduce errors and comebacks.
Here are some tips that Paul talks about in this video:
- Remove all hoses, connecting wires, air filter housing, sensors, supports, etc. before accessing water pump
- Use 24 mm socket and breaker bar to hold crankshaft steady while removing drive gear mounting bolt
- Drive gear mounting bolt has a left-handed thread — turn CLOCKWISE to loosen
- Don’t forget to swap out O-rings on connector to the oil cooler before connecting it to new water pump
- Remember that drive gear mounting bolt is tightened by turning COUNTER-CLOCKWISE
- Torque spec on drive gear mounting bolt is 10 Nm plus 90 degrees